Shallow earthquakes in the upper part of the overriding plate of subduction zones can be devastating due to their proximity to population centers despite the smaller rupture extents than commonly occur on subduction megathrusts that produce the largest earthquakes. Damaging effects can be greater in volcanic arcs like Java because ground shaking is amplified by surficial deposits of uncompacted volcaniclastic sediments. Identifying the upper-plate structures and their potential hazards is key for minimizing the dangers they pose.
Download count: 0
- Geological engineering
- Active fault in Java volcanic arc
- Active tectonics in humid environment
- Crustal deformation in Subduction Zone
- Earthquake geology of a volcanic arc
- Tectonic geomorphology
- Subduction zones--Indonesia--Java.
- Subduction Zones
- Partial requirement for: Ph.D., Arizona State University, 2016Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical referencesNote typebibliography
- Field of study: Geological sciences