As much as 40% of the world's human population relies on rivers which originate on the Qinghai-Tibetan Plateau (QTP) (Xu et al. 2009, Immerzeel et al. 2010). However, the high alpine grasslands where these rivers emanate are at a crossroads. Fed by seasonal monsoon rains and glacial runoff, these rivers' frequent flooding contributes to massive losses of life and property downstream (Varis et al. 2012). Additionally, upstream grasslands, which regulate the flow of these rivers, are considered to be deteriorating (Harris 2010).
Download count: 0
- Water resources management
- Conservation Biology
- Natural Resource Management
- Ecosystem Engineer
- Keystone species
- plateau pika
- Pikas--Behavior--Tibet, Plateau of.
- Pikas--Ecology--Tibet, Plateau of.
- Ecohydrology--Tibet, Plateau of.
- Partial requirement for: M.S., Arizona State University, 2012Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 39-43)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: Biology