Tobias Smollett was an eighteenth-century surgeon, writer, novelist, and editor. He was a Scotsman who sought his fortune in south Briton. Throughout his life and career he experienced many of the cultural and political influences that helped to shape the British identity. His youth as a Lowland Scot, student and apprentice, and naval surgeon enabled him to embrace this new identity. His involvement in nearly every aspect of the publishing process in London enabled him to shape, define, and encourage this identity.
Download count: 0
- European History
- British & Irish Literature
- British identity
- Eighteenth century
- National characteristics, British--History.
- National characteristics, British
- Partial requirement for: M.A., Arizona State University, 2011Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 119-124)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: History