The percussion jazz ensemble is a long-established yet rare component of 21st century percussion studios in the United States. While many American collegiate programs have percussion ensembles that perform jazz-based pieces, none are identified as a “percussion jazz ensemble.” This may be for a variety of reasons. Professors may not have considered adding a percussion jazz ensemble to their program because of its scarcity in American universities. Including such a class would be challenging if the instructors did not feel comfortable or familiar enough with jazz idioms and vernacular.
Download count: 0
- performing arts
- Performing Arts education
- Percussion ensembles (Musical groups)--United States--History and criticism.
- Percussion ensembles (Musical groups)
- Jazz--History and criticism.
- Conservatories of music--Curricula.
- Conservatories of music
- Performing arts--Repertoire.
- Partial requirement for: D.M.A., Arizona State University, 2016Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical referencesNote typebibliography
- Field of study: Music