Employing qualitative methods and drawing from an intersectional framework which focuses on the multiple identities we all embody, this dissertation focuses on oppressions and resistance strategies employed by women of color in Xbox live, an online gaming community. Ethnographic observations and narrative interviewing reveal that women of color, as deviants within the space, face intersecting oppressions in gaming as in life outside the gaming world. They are linguistically profiled within the space based off of how they sound.
Download count: 0
- Women's Studies
- African American Studies
- Critical Media
- Virtual Communities
- Xbox live
- Xbox video games--Social aspects.
- Xbox video games
- African American women--Social conditions.
- Hispanic American women--Social conditions.
- Hispanic American women
- Video gamers--Social conditions.
- Video gamers
- Includes vita
- Partial requirement for: Ph. D., Arizona State University, 2011Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 143-156)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: Justice studies