David Schwalm came to ASU in 1986 as Director of Composition and retired in 2009 as Vice Provost for Academic Affairs at the Polytechnic Campus. The interview has five main sections:
1, Pre-ASU Years where Dave discusses growing up in Fort Wayne, his education, and professional jobs.
2. Director of Composition addresses Dave’s increasing understanding of the university through his work on general studies and English articulation agreements.
3. ASU West covers Dave’s efforts to grow the student population and with Cathy Church to untangle the West and Tempe campus programs
4. ASU East has extensive coverage of how the campus was started and populated using an alliance with Chandler Gilbert Community College. Doing all this on a shoestring of a budget. Dave discusses why various faculty and programs were moved to the Polytechnic Campus.
5. Reflections allows Dave to reminisce about the “good old days” as well as the good new days.
Download count: 0
- Barry McNeill, Editor; John McIntosh, camera; Roger Carter, audio; Linda Van Scoy, Chair Video History Project.
- Photo Credits 1. Emboyd Theater Fort Wayne https://historictheatres.org/blog/2018/03/29/archiving-the-historic-embassy-theatre-ft-wayne-indiana/, opens in a new window 2. Carleton College https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carleton_College, opens in a new window 3. Lattie Coor AZHCC 2013 Legacy Award Winner https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5upWKwzFPuI, opens in a new window 4. Williams Airforce Base - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Williams_Air_Force_Base, opens in a new window 5. Storage Supply Warehouse - By Marine 69-71 at English Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikime, opens in a new window dia.org/w/index.php?curid=28621060, opens in a new window 6. Current Poly Campus https://tours.asu.edu/polytechnic, opens in a new window 7. Ben Forsyth – Connie McNeill’s personal collection 8. Chuck and Judy Backus http://wherefoodcomesfrom.com/storybit-quarter-circle-u-ranch/, opens in a new window 9. Sheila Ainlay Budget https://isearch.asu.edu/profile/43051, opens in a new window
INTRODUCTIONS @ 00:00:20 PRE-ASU YEARS @ 00:01:36 1. Brief overview @ 00:01:46 2. Fort Wayne Years @ 00:03:05 3. Education Years @ 00:05:22 4. Teaching Years @ 00:08:55 5. Coming to ASU @ 00:13:50 DIRECTOR OF COMPOSITION, 1986 @ 00:15:42 6. Introduction to Administration @ 00:15:48 7. General Studies & English Articulation @ 00:19:00 ASU WEST CAMPUS, 1992 @ 00:22:26 8. Moving to West Campus @ 00:22:36 9. Untangle West and Tempe Campus Programs @ 00:25:39 10. Growing Student Body @ 00:30:23 11. Funding @ 00:32:20 12. Lattie Coor’s Focus and Views on Growth @ 00:35:50 ASU EAST / POLYTECHNIC CAMPUS, 1996 @ 00:38:16 13. Moving to East Campus @ 00:38:26 14. Starter Buildings 1996 @ 00:41:35 15. Starter Programs @ 00:50:35 16. First Challenge - Working on Curriculum @ 00:54:47 17. Attracting Students Part 1: Working with Chandler Gilbert Community College @ 00:54:47 18. Attracting Students Part 2: Adding More Programs (late 90’s) @ 01:04:44 19. Arrival of President Crow @ 01:13:42 REFLECTIONS @ 01:18:15 20. Early Faculty Moved to Polytechnic Campus @ 01:18:25 21. Changes in Polytechnic Campus Since Retired @ 01:19:13 22. Early Campus Life @ 01:20:59 23. Personalities - Ben Forsyth / Chuck Backus / Others @ 01:24:15 24. Most Satisfaction / Best Memory @ 01:30:03 25. How ASU has Changed @ 01:32:11 26. Post Retirement Activities @ 01:37:36
Citation and reuse
Cite this item
This is a suggested citation. Consult the appropriate style guide for specific citation guidelines.
Schwalm, David. Interview. 04 March 2015. ASURA Video History Project. © Arizona Board of Regents. https://hdl.handle.net/2286/R.I.57499