Despite the wealth of folk music traditions in Portugal and the importance of the clarinet in the music of bandas filarmonicas, it is uncommon to find works featuring the clarinet using Portuguese folk music elements. In the interest of expanding this type of repertoire, three new works were commissioned from three different composers. The resulting works are Seres Imaginarios 3 by Luis Cardoso; Delirio Barroco by Tiago Derrica; and Memória by Pedro Faria Gomes. In an effort to submit these new works for inclusion into mainstream performance literature, the author has recorded these works on compact disc. This document includes interview transcripts with each composer, providing first-person discussion of each composition, as well as detailed biographical information on each composer. To provide context, the author has included a brief discussion on Portuguese folk music, and in particular, the role that the clarinet plays in Portuguese folk music culture.
Included in this item (10)
- Partial requirement for: D.M.A., Arizona State University, 2013Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical referencesNote typebibliography
- Field of study: Music
- Contains: Cardoso, Luís, 1974- Seres maginários. 3
- Contains: Derrica, Tiago. Delirio barroco
- Contains: Faria Gomes, Pedro. Memoria