This project features three new pieces for clarinet commissioned from three different composers. Two are for unaccompanied clarinet and one is for clarinet, bass clarinet, and laptop. These pieces are Storm's a Comin' by Chris Burton, Light and Shadows by Theresa Martin, and My Own Agenda by Robbie McCarthy. These three solos challenge the performer in various ways including complex rhythm, use of extended techniques such as growling, glissando, and multiphonics, and the incorporation of technology into a live performance. In addition to background information, a performance practice guide has also been included for each of the pieces. This guide provides recommendations and suggestions for future performers wishing to study and perform these works. Also included are transcripts of interviews done with each of the composers as well as full scores for each of the pieces. Accompanying this document are recordings of each of the three pieces, performed by the author.
- A recording project featuring three newly commissioned works for clarinet
The date the item was original created (prior to any relationship with the ASU Digital Repositories.)
Collections this item is in
- Recorded music lacking
- Partial requirement for: D.M.A., Arizona State University, 2013Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical referencesNote typebibliography
- Field of study: Music
- Contains: Burton, Chris (Composer). Storm's a comin'
- Contains: Martin, Theresa, 1979- Light and shadows
- Contains: McCarthy, Robbie, 1989- My own agenda
Citation and reuse
Statement of Responsibility
by Melissa Vaughan