This dissertation takes the material culture of New Orleans’ Spiritual Churches as its point of the construction and application of academic categories in studies of religions of the African diaspora. Because I am interested in what emic explanations reveal about scholarly categories and methods, a dialogic approach in which I consult practitioners’ explanations to test the appropriateness of academic categories is central to this work.
Download count: 0
- African American Studies
- African American religion
- African diaspora
- Material Culture
- African American Spiritual churches--Louisiana--New Orleans.
- African American Spiritual churches
- Vodou--Louisiana--New Orleans.
- Partial requirement for: Ph. D., Arizona State University, 2016Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 122-130)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: Religious studies