This qualitative study investigates the experiences of ten focal youth who came to the United States as refugees and were placed in Structured English Immersion (SEI) programs in Arizona high schools. The educational language policy for Arizona’s public schools (during the 2014-2015 school year) mandates SEI include four 60-minute classroom periods devoted to reading, writing, grammar, oral English exclusively.
Download count: 0
- Education Policy
- English as a Second Language
- Critical Sociocultural Theory of Language Policy
- Social Positioning
- Youth Voice
- English language--Study and teaching (Secondary)--Arizona.
- English language
- English language--Study and teaching (Secondary)--Foreign speakers.
- Teenage refugees--Arizona--Language.
- Teenage refugees
- Partial requirement for: Ph.D., Arizona State University, 2016Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 195-210)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: Educational leadership and policy studies