The Mathematical and Theoretical Biology Institute (MTBI) is a summer research program for undergraduate students, largely from underrepresented minority groups. Founded in 1996, it serves as a 'life-long' mentorship program, providing continuous support for its students and alumni. This study investigates how MTBI supports student development in applied mathematical research. This includes identifying of motivational factors to pursue and develop capacity to complete higher education.
Download count: 0
- Mathematics Education
- Applied Mathematics
- Education (Higher)
- community development
- Higher education in STEM
- Holzman's metaphor of becoming
- Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development
- Mathematics--Study and teaching (Higher)
- Mathematics--Study and teaching--Psychological aspects.
- Mathematics--Study and teaching--Social aspects.
- Learning, Psychology of--Social aspects.
- Learning, Psychology of
- Partial requirement for: Ph.D., Arizona State University, 2015Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (pages 131-136)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: Applied mathematics for the life and social sciences