This study investigates the uses of English in advertising in Brazil and the attitudes of Brazilians towards the use of different difficulty levels of English in advertising. Using a two part, mixed-methods approach, drawing from quantitative and qualitative methods, I utilized a corpus study to examine English uses in Brazilian magazines and a survey to investigate the difficulty of English slogans as a determinant for people's attitudes towards English in advertising. For the first part, three major Brazilian news magazines, Veja, Época, and ISTOÉ were used.
Download count: 0
- English as a Second Language
- Attitudes towards English
- English in Advertising
- Expanding Circle
- Sociolinguistic Profile
- World Englishes
- English language--Foreign countries.
- Partial requirement for: Ph.D., Arizona State University, 2014Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 142-148)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: Applied linguistics