Description

In 1890, the State of Nevada built the Stewart Indian School on a parcel of land three miles south of Carson City, Nevada, and then sold the campus to the

In 1890, the State of Nevada built the Stewart Indian School on a parcel of land three miles south of Carson City, Nevada, and then sold the campus to the federal government. The Stewart Indian School operated as the only non-reservation Indian boarding school in Nevada until 1980 when the federal government closed the campus. Faced with the challenge of assimilating Native peoples into Anglo society after the conclusion of the Indian wars and the confinement of Indian nations on reservations, the federal government created boarding schools.

Reuse Permissions
  • 4.41 MB application/pdf

    Download count: 0

    Details

    Contributors
    Date Created
    • 2013
    Resource Type
  • Text
  • Collections this item is in
    Note
    • Partial requirement for: Ph. D., Arizona State University, 2013
      Note type
      thesis
    • Includes bibliographical references (p. 249-263)
      Note type
      bibliography
    • Field of study: History

    Citation and reuse

    Statement of Responsibility

    by Bonnie Thompson

    Machine-readable links