This dissertation describes the development of a state-of-the-art immersive media environment and its potential to motivate high school youth with autism to vocally express themselves. Due to the limited availability of media environments in public education settings, studies on the use of such systems in special education contexts are rare. A study called Sea of Signs utilized the Situated Multimodal Art Learning Lab (SMALLab), to present a custom-designed conversational scenario for pairs of youth with autism.
Download count: 0
- Educational technology
- Special Education
- instructional design
- embodied learning
- experiential media system
- immersive media environment
- interaction design
- Autistic children--Means of communication--Interactive multimedia.
- Autistic children
- Communication devices for autistic children--Interactive multimedia.
- Communication devices for autistic children
- Partial requirement for: Ph. D., Arizona State University, 2013Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 138-146)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: Media arts and sciences