This research conducts two methods of rhetorical analysis of State of the Union Addresses: 1. Computational linguistic analysis of all State of the Union Addresses from 1790-2007, and 2. Close-readings and rhetorical analyses of two addresses: one by President Truman and one by President Reagan. This research shows the following key findings: 1. I am able to see general shifts in the authors' approaches to the State of the Union Address through historical computational analyses of the content of all speeches, and 2.
Download count: 0
- Political Science
- Presidents--United States--Language--History.
- Presidents--United States--Messages.
- Political oratory--United States--History.
- Political oratory
- Rhetoric--Political aspects--United States--History.
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American--History and criticism.
- Partial requirement for: Ph. D., Arizona State University, 2013Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 181-189)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: English