Multi-media votive sculpture, made from wax, papier-mâché, wood, terra cotta and textiles, is a long-neglected subject of study in early modern Italian art history. This dissertation focuses on an unparalleled seventeenth-century manuscript, the Libro dei miracoli, which reproduces in watercolor a number of the lost multi-media votive statues that once populated the church of S. Maria della Quercia in Viterbo.
Download count: 0
- Art History
- Votive offerings in art
- Portrait sculpture--Italy--Viterbo.
- Portrait sculpture
- Sculpture, Italian--17th century.
- Sculpture, Italian
- Partial requirement for: Ph. D., Arizona State University, 2012Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 179-206)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: Art history