This qualitative study explores the literacy development of adolescent ELLs in three middle school, Structured English Immersion (SEI) classrooms that implemented the four-hour, English Language Development (ELD), curriculum mandated by Arizona. The context of the study is set in two elementary school districts. Participants, three middle school teachers, were observed during four hours of ELD instruction within their English-only classrooms to examine literacy practices. Data were recorded using field note observations, semi-structured interviews, and artifact collection.
Download count: 0
- English as a Second Language
- Middle school education
- Education Policy
- English Language Learners
- langauge policy
- langauge practices
- Middle School
- Policy Implementation
- Limited English-proficient students--Education (Middle school)--Arizona.
- Limited English-proficient students
- English language--Study and teaching--Immersion method.
- English language--Study and teaching--Foreign speakers.
- English language--Study and teaching--Arizona.
- English language
- Language policy--Arizona.
- Language policy
- Partial requirement for: Ph. D., Arizona State University, 2012Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 145-162)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: Curriculum and instruction