The Second World War has been portrayed as the central event for understanding the history of America in the 20th Century. This dissertation will examine the acts of commemoration and remembrance by veterans who served on the escort carriers, USS Block Island, CVE-21 & CVE-106. Acts of remembrance and commemoration, in this case, refer to the authorship of memoirs, the donation of symbolic objects that represent military service to museums, and the formation of a veteran's organization, which also serves as a means of social support.
Download count: 0
- Destroyer escorts--History--20th century.
- Destroyer escorts
- World War, 1939-1945--Naval operations, American.
- World War, 1939-1945--Anniversaries, etc.
- World War, 1939-1945--Veterans--United States.
- World War, 1939-1945
- Collective memory--United States--History--20th century.
- collective memory
- Partial requirement for: Ph. D., Arizona State University, 2012Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 368-388)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: History