NGExtract 2 is a complete transistor (MOSFET) parameter extraction solution based upon the original computer program NGExtract by Rahul Shringarpure written in February 2007. NGExtract 2 is written in Java and based around the circuit simulator NGSpice. The goal of the program is to be used to produce accurate transistor models based around real-world transistor data. The program contains numerous improvements to the original program:
• Completely rewritten with performance and usability in mind
• Cross-Platform vs. Linux Only
• Simple installation procedure vs. compilation and manual library configuration
• Self-contained, single file runtime
• Particle Swarm Optimization routine
NGExtract 2 works by plotting the Ids vs. Vds and Ids vs. Vgs curves of a simulation model and the measured, real-world data. The user can adjust model parameters and re-simulate to attempt to match the curves. The included Particle Swarm Optimization routine attempts to automate this process by iteratively attempting to improve a solution by measuring its sum-squared error against the real-world data that the user has provided.