The Jovian moon Europa's putative subsurface ocean offers one of the closest astrobiological targets for future exploration. It’s geologically young surface with a wide array of surface features aligned with distinct surface composition suggests past/present geophysical activity with implications for habitability. In this body of work, I propose a hypothesis for material transport from the ocean towards the surface via a convecting ice-shell. Geodynamical modeling is used to perform numerical experiments on a two-phase water-ice system to test the hypotheses.
Download count: 0
- Fluid Mechanics
- Icy Satellites
- Ocean currents--Mathematical models.
- Ocean currents
- Sea ice--Mathematical models.
- Sea Ice
- Partial requirement for: Ph.D., Arizona State University, 2017Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical referencesNote typebibliography
- Field of study: Geological sciences