This dissertation begins with a simple question: By what process(es) have remote prehistoric ruins and natural wonders, particularly in the American Southwest, been transformed from interesting curiosities of the unknown frontier to American "national monuments"? If monuments, in their various forms, are understood as symbols of national and regional identities, then the National Park Service's (NPS) Flagstaff Area National Monuments (Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater Volcano, and Wupatki) have been preserved for more than just their historic or scientific value.
Download count: 0
- Cultural Resources Management
- Cultural property--Protection--Arizona--History.
- Cultural property
- Natural monuments--Arizona--History.
- Natural monuments
- National monuments--Arizona--History.
- National Monuments
- Partial requirement for: Ph. D., Arizona State University, 2013Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 482-528)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: History