This thesis analyzes how several well-known biographies of popular nineteenth-century British literary figures overturned and upset the usual heroic literary biographies that typified the genre during the Victorian era. Popular public opinion in the nineteenth century was that literary biographies existed as moral guideposts--designed to instruct and edify readers. Richard D.
Download count: 0
- Literary Biographies
- Biography as a literary form--History--19th century.
- Biography as a literary form
- Authors, English--Biography--History and criticism.
- English prose literature--19th century--History and criticism.
- Public opinion--Great Britain--History--19th century.
- Partial requirement for: M.A., Arizona State University, 2011Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 102-108)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: History