At its core, this dissertation is a study of how one group of ordinary people attempted to make change in their local and national community by reframing a public debate. Since 1993, over five thousand undocumented migrants have died, mostly of dehydration, while attempting to cross the US/Mexico border. Volunteers for No More Deaths (NMD), a humanitarian group in Tucson, hike the remote desert trails of the southern Arizona desert and provide food, water, and first aid to undocumented migrants in medical distress. They believe that their actions reduce suffering and deaths in the desert.
Download count: 0
- Language, Rhetoric and Composition
- Illegal Immigration
- Rhetorical Agency
- Trials (Offenses against the environment)--Arizona--Buenos Aires National Wildlife Refuge.
- Trials (Offenses against the environment)
- Human rights--Mexican-American Border Region.
- Human Rights
- Rhetoric--Political aspects.
- Includes vita
- Partial requirement for: Ph. D., Arizona State University, 2011Note typethesis
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 171-175)Note typebibliography
- Field of study: English