Computer simulations of the Ising model exhibit white noise if thermal fluctuations are governed by Boltzmann's factor alone; whereas we find that the same model exhibits 1/f noise if Boltzmann's factor is extended to include local alignment entropy to all orders. We show that this nonlinear correction maintains maximum entropy during equilibrium fluctuations.
Download count: 0
- Chamberlin, Ralph (Author)
- Nasir, Derek (Author)
- College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (Contributor)
The date the item was original created (prior to any relationship with the ASU Digital Repositories.)
Collections this item is in
- Digital object identifier: 10.1103/PhysRevE.90.012142
- Identifier TypeInternational standard serial numberIdentifier Value2470-0045
- Identifier TypeInternational standard serial numberIdentifier Value2470-0053
- Copyright 2014 by the American Physical Society. View the article as published at http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.90.012142, opens in a new window
Citation and reuse
Cite this item
This is a suggested citation. Consult the appropriate style guide for specific citation guidelines.
Chamberlin, Ralph V., & Nasir, Derek M. (2014). 1/f noise from the laws of thermodynamics for finite-size fluctuations. PHYSICAL REVIEW E, 90(1),012142. http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.90.012142